Admission to Graduate Studies
Students holding a B.S. degree or M.S. in engineering from an ABET accredited program or a B.S. or M.S. in a related field from an accredited institution are invited to apply for admission to masters or doctoral programs. Students not having an ABET accredited B.S engineering degree but having degrees in math or physical/biological science or other disciplines may be asked to take additional selected course work to adequately prepare them for their specific engineering studies.
Base requirements for consideration for admission to the College of Engineering’s Graduate Programs are listed below. Specific degree programs and emphasis areas may add additional requirements:
► Completion of a B.S. and M.S. (for Ph.D. applicants) with minimum GPA of 3.00 (out of 4.00) from an ABET accredited program or program in a related field. The average undergraduate GPA and graduate GPA of recent accepted students is 3.4 and 3.6, respectively.
► Submission of the online UGA Graduate School Application and submission of:
- Official undergraduate and graduate academic transcripts
- A statement of purpose
- Three letters of recommendation
- General Graduate Record Examination (GRE) Scores. Average Quantitative GRE scores of recent accepted students range near the 80th percentile. Applicants holding a UGA degree may waive this requirement if they meet GPA and undergraduate research requirements.
- TOEFL is required for international students whose native language is other than English.
► Additional requirements may be applicable for admission to discipline-specific M.S. and Ph.D. Programs and Emphasis Areas offered through the College’s schools.
Direct Ph.D. Admission
Exceptional and highly motivated students with a B.S. degree who have not completed an M.S. degree may apply for direct admission to a Ph.D. program provided they have demonstrated research experience. The student’s desire and suitability to enter a Ph.D. program should be clearly articulated in their statement of purpose and in accompanying letters of recommendation.
While applications are accepted on a rolling basis, full consideration for financial support will be given to applications received by the following deadlines:
Fall (or Summer): December 15*
Spring: September 15*
*these deadlines differ from the UGA Graduate School deadlines
We will still consider all applications received by the following UGA Graduate School deadlines:
- Fall Semester – July 1
- Spring Semester – November 15
- Summer Semester – May 1
- Fall Semester – April 15
- Spring Semester – October 15
- Summer Semester – February 15