Admission to Graduate Studies
Students holding a B.S. degree or M.S. in engineering from an ABET accredited program or a B.S. or M.S. in a related field from an accredited institution are invited to apply for admission. Students with degrees in non-engineering disciplines may be asked to take additional selected course work to adequately prepare them for their studies.
Base requirements for consideration for admission to the College of Engineering’s Graduate Programs are listed below. Specific degree programs and emphasis areas may add additional requirements.
► Completion of a B.S. and M.S. (for Ph.D. applicants) with minimum GPA of 3.00 (out of 4.00) from an ABET accredited program or program in a related field. The average undergraduate GPA and graduate GPA of recent accepted students is 3.4 and 3.6, respectively. Average Quantitative GRE scores of recent accepted students range near the 80th percentile.
► Applicants whose primary language is not English must submit official TOEFL or IELTS scores that are not more than two years old. Applicants who have received degrees from accredited institutions in the U.S. or from institutions in countries where English is the primary language (see list here) are usually are not required to submit the TOEFL (or IELTS) scores. If such an applicant received the degree more than two years prior to application School and has been residing/working in a country where the primary language is not English, he or she must submit current scores.
UGA will accept satisfactory scores on either the TOEFL or IELTS language proficiency examinations:
- The minimum TOEFL score requirement: overall score of 80 with at least 20 on speaking and writing
- The minimum IELTS score requirement: overall band-width of 6.5, with no single band (score) below 6.0
- Submit the UGA College of Engineering application via EngineeringCAS. To find a listing of our programs, search for University of Georgia in the main search bar on the “Add Program” page.
- Send official transcripts from all US institutions attended to EngineeringCAS; click here for instructions. Non-US transcripts must be sent to a US-based evaluation service for a course-by-course US equivalency report. This report should then be sent directly to EngineeringCAS. Click here instructions.
- Upload all unofficial transcripts in the University of Georgia Documents section of the EngineeringCAS application
- Send your official GRE scores (General Test) directly to the University of Georgia (school code 4594) and report your scores in the Academic History > Standardized Tests section of the EngineeringCAS application. MS applicants holding a UGA degree may waive the GRE requirement if they meet GPA and undergraduate research requirements; email email@example.com for information.
- International applicants should submit official TOEFL scores using school code B886. TOEFL scores must be accurately reported in the in the Academic History > Standardized Tests section of the EngineeringCAS application. If submitting IELTS scores, these must be reported in the Academic History > Standardized Tests section of the EngineeringCAS application. Official IELTS scores must be sent to: Office of Graduate Admissions, The University of Georgia, 210 S. Jackson St., Athens, GA 30602-1777.
- Upload your personal statement in the University of Georgia Documents section of the EngineeringCAS application
- Upload your CV/resume in the Supporting Information > Documents section of the EngineeringCAS application.
- Request three letters of recommendation be sent through the EngineeringCAS Evaluations portal. Letters should be submitted by faculty or supervisors who are familiar with your academic and/or research capabilities.
DIRECT PHD ADMISSION
Exceptional and highly motivated students with a B.S. degree who have not completed an M.S. degree may apply for direct admission to a Ph.D. program provided they have demonstrated research experience. The student’s desire and suitability to enter a Ph.D. program should be clearly articulated in their statement of purpose and in accompanying letters of recommendation.
Full consideration for financial support will be given to applications received by the following deadlines:
Fall (or Summer): December 15
Spring: September 15
We will still consider all applications received by the following UGA Graduate School deadlines:
Fall Semester – July 1
Spring Semester – November 15
Summer Semester – May 1
Fall Semester – April 15
Spring Semester – October 15
Summer Semester – February 15